Washington State Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
Please LOG-IN for Member Rates!
Add to my calendar
Educational Interpreter Workshops
21 Feb 2014
4:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Dishman Hills High School, 115 S University, Spokane Valley, WA 99206
1. WSRID Member Regular Rate – $30.00
2. WSRID Student Member Regular Rate – $10.00
3. Non-Member Regular Rate – $70.00
4. Student Non-Member Regular Rate – $50.00
5. WSRID Member Late Rate – $60.00
6. WSRID Student Member Late Rate – $40.00
7. Non-Member Late Rate – $100.00
8. Student Non-member Late Rate – $80.00
Registration is closed
EIPA Assessment and State Standard Requirements
presented by Carol Carrothers
This workshop will discuss the new standards in Washington State for educational interpreters. We will discuss the Educational Performance Assessment, what areas are assessed, feedback given, and how to prepare for the assessment.
~ The EIPA workshop will be presented in spoken English. Accommodations will be provided if requested by Friday, February 14, 2014.
Math and ASL
presented by Paul Glaser
There is increasing importance being placed on the role mathematics signs play in teaching and learning in the classroom. Many teachers and interpreters have different signs for certain mathematics terms and it is possible that a lack of standardization may influence learning. There is a particular need to discuss perceptions of technical signs in order to help prepare new teachers and interpreters who pursue careers in mathematics education for the deaf. The present workshop was designed to assist new and experienced mathematics teachers and interpreters for the deaf as well as students interested in learning about mathematics signs. Most teachers and interpreters did not have signs for advanced mathematics terms and fingerspelled those terms to avoid inventing signs. This workshop helps you to be familiar with mathematics terms and how to apply them to interpreting settings. Participants will learn how to interpret in language of math for Deaf students in K-12.
~ The Math and ASL workshop will be presented in ASL only. No voice interpreters will be provided.
Presenter Bios -
- Carol is Co-Director of the Statewide Outreach Team for the Center for Childhood Deafness and Hearing Loss, (CDHL. This team provides technical assistance to school districts and families with deaf
and hard-of-hearing children throughout Washington. Carol provides and also coordinates consultations for deaf and hard of hearing children in the areas of assessment, IEP development, program planning and other areas. She and the team provide training to school district staff on the needs of children with hearing loss. After earning a B.A. in Special Education and a M.S. in Deaf Education, Carol taught all ages from preschool to university level for over 25 years. She has also worked as a certified sign language interpreter.
- Paul is a Teacher of the Deaf at a public school in the Seattle area and Math instructor at Edmonds Community College. He is certified by Office of Supt. of Public Instruction from Washington State in Mathematics (highly qualified) and Deaf Education. Paul has a BA degree in Mathematics and Communication Studies from Gallaudet University and MS Degree in Deaf Education with a concentration in Mathematics from NTID/RIT. Paul is currently on the board for Washington State RID (WSRID) as a Treasurer and Abused Deaf Women's Advocacy Services (ADWAS).
Regular Registration - Through February 17 -
WSRID Member: $30
WSRID student member: $10
Student non-member $50
Late Registration - After February 17 or at the Door -
WSRID Member: $60
WSRID student member: $40
Student non-member $80
EIPA Workshop - 4:30p - 6:00p
Dinner Break - Meal provided
Working Interpreters Workshop - 6:30p - 9:30p
Questions - contact Jamie DeArmas-Rodriguez
WSRID is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization
WSRID [P.O. Box 48023,
Seattle, WA 98148]
WSRID © 2012 - 20
Educational Interpreter Workshops